Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Regarding the increase in chocolate rations...

In the past few years I've seen more than my share of bumper stickers, static stickers and magnetic ribbons touting every half-baked idea that some fool with an ignorant opinion cares to stick on his car...

In every instance, its some idea that sounds good in some superficial way. What is incredible here is the celerity with which such ideas seem to make their way into the modern wisdom without any analysis or fact checking. It seems like putting an idea on a bumper sticker gives it credibility. I have no idea why this should be so but the theme repeats itself with alarming frequency.

My current favorite is, "Freedom isn't free". I see this one all the time... I don't really know anyone qualified that has actually done a cost analysis on "freedom" so I'm not really sure who to check with on this one but absent such an analysis, I'm not sure why so many people are so quick to put stock in it... IN evidence against the idea, I would note that leaving everybody alone and staying out of the road is pretty cheap or vanishingly close to free and that such activities are quite easily reconsiled with "freedom"... I don't think it's obvious at all that it should be true that "Freedom isn't free" and absent some proof, I don't see why it should be broadly accepted by any educated and clear-thinking group of people.

I will close with my own collorary: "Freedom isn't free, it's slavery"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home